Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Custom Event Card Decks


Chance event card decks are useful in solo play. The cards suggested by Neil Thomas in One Hour Wargames are a good start but, in my opinion, more events would be an improvement. You need enough cards so that you can never know which cards might turn up during a battle. Also, different scenarios might call for different events.

When you make your own deck using index cards, you will find that they do not shuffle easily and they are not sturdy. Fortunately, custom card decks can be printed on regularly playing cards. I used MPC at makeplayingcards.com to make a deck for myself.

This was not cheap. A deck of 55 cards with a nice tin box and shipping cost me about $25. The cards did not arrive for three weeks. However, I am very pleased with them. The finish is standard for playing cards so they should last a very long time for solo play. The risk, of course, is that you might change your mind about which events you want to include. Eventually you might want to go back and make another deck of supplemental cards.

MPC’s web site allows you to use your own photo for the backs of the cards and to insert some text on backs as wells as the faces. My backs have a photo of French infantry figures and text that says OHW+ SOLO EVENTS. This indicates that I started with OHW event cards intended for solo play and I added some of my own.

TIP.  you could write your events on address card labels then stick them on regular playing cards.



1 comment:

  1. Really helpful tip. Having made many sets of my own cards and thought about trying to get some "professional quality" cards previously. Instead I bought blank cards but got stuck on how to print on to the shiny surface, so went back to making my own from paper card and laminator! CarlL

    ReplyDelete