Thursday, February 11, 2021

Sequential Eclecticism

 One of the reasons we like wargaming is the scope for endless variety.  We can dabble in different eras, different scales, different rulesets, different board sizes, different sizes for our battles.  We can deviate from miniature wargaming and try board games.  The sky is the limit.

The danger we face is we might wake up one day and realize we are surrounded by piles of junk.  We have not touched some of it for a year.  The clutter is depressing and the lack of focus makes us feel like we have lost our way.  Does this sound familiar?

My suggestion is sequential eclecticism.   Focus on one or two eras that interest you.  Settle on a style of play that you enjoy and stick with it for awhile. 

Decide which of your old stuff comprises a collection that you enjoy owning and looking at even if you do not use it.  Get rid of the rest of it.  Sell it online, give it to a thrift store, or toss it in the bin. It will lighten your heart to declutter.

Next year, when you think maybe you want to get back into whatever you ditched this year, remind yourself of why you got rid of it.  Then, if you still want to return to it, go right ahead.  Buying and selling and buying again can be an enjoyable aspect of the hobby.

At any given time, you will have a focus or perhaps two of them.  Experience will deepen your understanding of how to game in that focus and the greater depth is satisfying in itself.  "Know thyself" is what Hamlet said, if I remember correctly.  I know I am not skilled in craftwork such as painting so I am not going to bother with it.  I know I cannot remember complex rules so I do not play that way.  I know I can have fun on a card table so I do not try to set up on an enormous table. 

I also know my interests will change in the future, as they  have in the past.  So what: this hobby has no destination.  It is all about enjoying the journey.   

3 comments:

  1. I need to say thank you for this article. I'd given up on wargaming when I read this. I started clearing clutter and found an unopened box of Project Z spec ops There are two modern or near modern fireteams in there and I have a dozen unused Somali pirates. May be good for your 'Near Future Mobile Infantry Tactical Units' rules or John Lambsheads 'One Hour Skirmish Wargames'. I do like games that use cards.
    I'm still clearing clutter though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nobby, I am glad to be of help. If you are like me, the clutter is depressing. I feel better after clearing the decks. Yes, I know that I will wish I had something after I get rid of it, but since I do not buy expensive stuff, it is ok.

    The One Hour Skirmish Games book was a little too RPG for me. The standard OHW approach allows me to use one figure to represent any size unit, even a division if I want to go that big. 15 hits corresponds to 15% casualties, if you want to think about it that way. 15% casualties could demoralize a unit and cause it to break.

    ReplyDelete